IEEE REGION-1 PRE-UNIVERSITY ACTIVITIES – Stephen Frempong, Chair
(1) On Sunday, March 25, the Lower Hudson Valley Engineering Expo will take place at White Plains High School where more than the 2,500 students who wish to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and math will attend.
(2) IEEE Maine Section participated at the 2012 Maine STEM Summit at Colby College on March 20th. (http://www.umaine.edu/epscor/conference.htm).
(3) Greater Syracuse Scholastic Science Fair at the MOST, SUNDAY, March 25, 2012.
The Greater Syracuse Scholastic Fair was successful and well attended. IEEE Syracuse section was represented. The students did a great job with some great projects, and Greg and his team did a good job. http://www.sascs.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=759:greater-syracuse-scholastic-science-fair-competition-march-2012&catid=1:latest&Itemid=80
(4) The Mohawk Valley Engineers Executive Council (MVEEC) had their Annual Project SITES (Pre-University) event at Whitesboro. It was a very successful event and well attended. MVEEC donated $750 to IEEE-Student Branch at SUNY Canton to support their field trip to Kennedy Space Center in Florida in April 26.
The Mohawk Valley Engineers Executive Council has selected Madison-Oneida BOCES student Bianca Little as one of this year’s recipients of the Charles A. Strom Engineering Award, for students who show outstanding talent toward a career in engineering. She will receive the award and $500 prize at the Mohawk Valley Technical Awards Banquet on April 19 in New Hartford.
Little is a senior in the BOCES Engineering Science program, taught by David Hale. Little, a Vernon-Verona-Sherrill student, plans to attend SUNY Institute of Technology next year to study civil engineering.
A very Good job to Bruce and his team- You are truly encouraging the next generation of engineers.
(5) Maine STEM Summit – Good Job
About 350 science teachers along with business leaders, university educators, and a very few practicing engineers attended the summit. Perhaps the best way for you to get a quick overview of the Maine Stem Summit is to review the summit program at http://www.umaine.edu/epscor/conference.htm.
Thanks to Dr. Brown and his IEEE team in Maine.
(6) Another successful Integrated STEM Education Conference was held on the 9th of March 2012 at the College of New Jersey.
Good job and many thanks to Ashutosh and all the great IEEE -Region 1 members who made this event a success. Many thanks to all the speakers, and we shall see you again in 2013. Please read more about this event at : http://ewh.ieee.org/conf/stem.
(7) Two IEEE STEM clubs have been formed at Bridgewater High School and Montgomery High School. Please read about it, and also to see if you could help start a similar IEEE club at your local High School or Middle School.
Thanks to Ashutosh and his team. Please keep up with the good work. http://ewh.ieee.org/r1/princeton-centraljersey/Education_Soc.htm#preuniv