IEEE North New Jersey Life Member Affinity Group
- Michael Miller – Chair
- Ronald Quade – Vice Chair
- John Dalton – Treasurer
- Ken Oexle – Secretary
- Hal Dayal – Member at Large
For upcoming events, please check vTools. Use the filter to see the Chapter’s upcoming events.
For past events, please check vTools. Use the filter to see the Chapter’s past events.
A summary of our chapter activities in 2021:
- A total of 15 events were held. Due to the pandemic, all events were held virtually utilizing GoToMeeting.
- Opened the virtual sessions an hour before the scheduled program in an effort to provide an opportunity for guests to network
- Continuing education units were offered for Professional Engineer Registration requirements in both New York and New Jersey and held 4 additional technical/administrative meetings.
- Over 1888 persons attended our activities in 2021.
- Identified 1 candidate for presentation of the Chapter’s Outstanding Engineer Award at our Awards Reception in May 2022.
- Due to COVID-19, held our Annual Life Grade “Luncheon” virtually with presentation by Ray Alvarez – Sr. Director at PSE&G – on the topic of the Utility of the Future
- As a courtesy to members and prospective members, waived the fees for all virtual courses and Continuing Education Credits.
- IEEE automated the CEU process for the chapter. This was a tremendous help and time saver allowing us to continue offering bi-monthly seminars.
Our chapter plans for 2022 year:
- Until COVID-19 is behind us and we can once again meet in person, we are scheduling >15 virtual technical seminars. • Organize a Professional Ethics Seminar for Professional Engineering registration requirements. • Schedule Life Member luncheon with a speaker. • Nominate next Chapter Achievement candidate. • Schedule Life Grade event. • Promote elevation to the Senior Member Grade level. • Ten virtual Technical Seminars already scheduled and confirmed for Spring 2022 and activities in progress for 5 Fall 2022 seminars. • Expand the geographic locations of seminars Several individuals attending our programs are students at local engineering schools or IEEE GOLD Members. • As a courtesy to members and prospective members, will continue to waive the fees for all virtual courses and Continuing Education Credits until COVID-19 is behind us and we are back in person
Highlights – 2020 – North New Jersey Life Member Affinity Group
A total of 13 events were held. Conducted two technical day long seminars before transitioning to the 2-hour virtual format with the beginning of COVID-19. • Continuing education units were offered for Professional Engineer Registration requirements in both New York and New Jersey and held 4 additional technical/administrative meetings. • Over 1635 persons attended our activities in 2020. Offered 2-hours of Engineering Ethics in conjunction with The Institute for Continuing Education to help members meet their Professional Engineer requirements. • Identified a candidate for presentation of the Chapter’s Achievement Award at our Awards Reception in May 2021. • Due to COVID-19, held our Annual Life Grade “Luncheon” virtually with presentation by Dr. Rebecca Mercuri of the Princeton Section on “Voting In A Pandemic: Navigating The 2020 Election”. • As a courtesy to members and prospective members, waived the fees for all virtual courses and Continuing Education Credits.
Highlights – 2019 – North New Jersey Life Member Affinity Group
A total of 11 events were held. The Group conducted nine technical day long seminars with continuing educational units offered for Professional Engineer Registration requirements in both New York and New Jersey and we scheduled 2 additional technical/administrative meetings. Over 650 persons attended our activities in 2019. We initiated discussions with Rutgers University to provide a Professional Ethics Course for PE registration and identified 2 candidates (over 15 and under 15 years professional experience) for presentation of the Group’s Outstanding Engineer Award at our Awards Reception in May 2019. The Group held an Annual Life Grade luncheon with a presentation by Russel Harrison, IEEE – USA Director of Government Relations, who discussed Congressional priorities in Washington DC and their impact on the economy, technology, business and engineers. Harry Roman, Life Senior member, continued his STEM activities, utilizing a Power Point program on” New Jersey – The Invention State” for presentations at elementary and high schools. We promoted and facilitated Senior Member Grade advancement. A Region 1 Award was presented to our Chair Michael A. Miller in 2018. Our Secretary, Kenneth Oexle received the IEEE MGA Sustained Leadership Award in 2019.
The IEEE North Jersey Life Member Affinity Group supports numerous programs in various areas of interest that enhance the activities of members, potential engineers, engineering students, and professionals worldwide. The continuing growth of the an IEEE Legacy Fund will help support new and exciting opportunities for young engineers with engineering education and workforce development, applying technology for humanitarian causes and preserving the history of technology.
The designation Life Member is applicable to all members who have reached the age of 65 years and who have been a member of IEEE (or one of its predecessor societies) for such a period that the sum of his/her age and his/her years of membership equals or exceeds 100 years. Usually the IEEE contacts qualified individuals when they meet the requirements for Life Member status.